Offshore InjuryBlog

Gaming & Entertainment Vessels and Safety

In some coastal cities or on riverbeds, men and women set up restaurants, casinos, and entertainment houses on vessels in the water. Most of the time these vessels are stationary which means that they never sail through the harbor where they are docked. OSHA has jurisdiction over these vessels, but on water craft the safety measures are dictated by the U.S. Coast Guard. According to the OSHA 2010 Directive, all floating casinos, sightseeing vessels, and dinner cruise vessels are considered craft because they travel, even if it is only short distances within a designated area.

Any vessels that are considered craft and travel must undergo a U.S. Coast Guard inspection and must carry a certificate of inspection on board. All personnel on an inspected vessel meet the definition of seamen and are covered by the U.S. Coast Guard when it comes to safety and health.

Any craft vessel used for entertainment purposes must have licensed and documented crew that actually operates the boat. For example, masters, mates, engineers, and cress may need to be licensed in order to work. These vessels can also carry unlicensed personnel such as card-dealers, entertainers, restaurant employees, or bartenders.

OSHA has jurisdiction over any craft that are considered permanently moored, such as stationary casinos or showboat theatres. If you have been injured on one of these vessels, then you still have the right to seek compensation. You can look at the OSHA guidelines to see if the ship that you were on violated any important guidelines in a way that jeopardized your safety. An offshore injury attorney at Arnold & Itkin can help you to inspect your case and see if you have a legitimate claim. Hire an attorney today if you want more information about entertainment vessels and watercraft injuries.

Share This Post

Free Case Evaluation

  • Please enter your name.
  • Please enter your email address.
  • Please enter your phone number.
  • Please make a selection.